I’m in San Antonio for a mental health convention. Today I gave my presentation–I was moderating a workshop called “Life After High School.” My plane landed yesterday. Very soon I realized that it’s relentlessly hot in San Antonio. So hot that when you get lost and have to trace back your steps and find your hotel, you’re not tired. You are T-I-R-E-D. Going to workshops, meeting fabulous people for the first time, and networking is hard when your face melts and you look like Heath Ledger’s Joker.
Yesterday, at my first convention event, people were asking me how I do my makeup. This post is for them and any woman who needs to avoid “face melt.” How can you look good in the summer heat? How do you avoid having your face do this?
5 tips for staying fresh despite the heat:
- Don’t wear too much makeup. For instance, I’ve been wearing eyeliner–but no eyeshadow. If it’s super hot, use less blush than usual so you don’t look like a tomato by the end of the day. You might even skip the blush and just use bronzer. As an added bonus, your beauty routine will be shorter.
- Wear 12-hour eyeliner from Tarte. In this picture, taken at today’s presentation, I’m wearing their Amazonian Clay eyeliner in black.
- Bring Boschia Blotting Linens with you to blot your face in the heat. You can find them here at Sephora.
- Pack Neutrogena Make-up Remover Cleansing Towelettes. When my makeup smears a little, I can easily wipe it off before the next meeting with these easy wipes. You can get them for $4.99 here at Target.
- Wear mineral powder foundation–not liquid. I go back and forth between using BB Cream (a liquid substance) or mineral foundation. This weekend I’m sticking to mineral powder so I can avoid getting my foundation on my collar.